BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39207
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : General Discussion : Reading "The loaded NL East shortstops" Thread

Message #235 of 317  *NEW*
To:  All
drrubb  
Subject:  The loaded NL East shortstops
Date:  4/30/07, 6:01am
How about the shortstop position in the NL East?! Damn! It is loaded!

Jose Reyes, Jimmy Rollins, Hanley Ramirez, Edgar Renteria

Who the best?

Personally, I don't believe it is Jose Reyes, contrary to popular belief. Why? Reyes doesn't have enough power. Yes, he is one hell of a hitter & base stealer & I know he creates havoc when he gets on base, but so do the other guys, particularly Rollins & Ramirez. Personally, I believe Jimmy Rollins is the best shortstop in baseball. Why? He can do everything Reyes can do, plus he has more power at the plate than Reyes. Rollins also hits in a hitters ballpark. Rollins has 25 straight stolen bases without getting caught. Hanley Ramirez, arguably also has more power than Reyes. Hanley Ramirez is the next Jimmy Rollins, or Jose Reyes if you prefer. Maybe Hanley will be a combination of the 2. Reyes gets a lot of basehits, but he won't hit more than 15 to 20 homeruns in a season. Rollins will hit atleast 20 or 25 plus. Rollins has got some pop in his bat. Hanley also has suprising power even though he hits in Florida, which is more of a pitchers park. Renteria is not in the class of the above mentioned 3, but he is still pretty damn good. He will hit for average & decent power. He obviously just won't still near as many bases. All 4 shortstops are gold glove caliber shortstops.

Reyes, Rollins, & Ramirez will all steal atleast 45 bases a piece, maybe giving the slight edge towards Reyes & Rollins here because Ramirez has been dealing with a sore hamstring. Reyes will hit .300 or better. Rollins will hit close to .300, maybe .285 or .290. Hanley Ramirez will hit around .290 or .300.
Renteria will probably also hit between .280 & .300.

Rollins has the edge in power. He'll hit 25 homers. Ramirez will hit about 20 to 25. Renteria will hit about 20. Reyes may hit 20, but I'm thinking 15 to 20.

Reyes gets more stroke because he plays in New York. Is he an MVP candidate? Certainly! But, you can't disclude Rollins & Ramirez from this conversation. They also are both MVP candidates without question!

If you asked me my opinion about who the best shortstop in baseball is. I would give the slightest of edges to Jimmy Rollins.

1. Jimmy Rollins
2. Jose Reyes
3. Hanley Ramirez
4. Miguel Tejada
5. Edgar Renteria
6. Derek Jeter
7. Micheal Young
8. Stephen Drew
9. Orlando Cabrera
10. Julio Lugo

Reply to Msg #235
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

4255 reads

Message #236 of 317  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
Stupidwrthlsboy  
Subject:  Re: The loaded NL East shortstops
Date:  5/1/07, 7:34am
Hmm, I wonder how JRoll has suddenly found his 30 HR power?

Reply to Msg #236
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

5620 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter